How to Pick the Right Size Holiday Gathering Table
Are you expecting extra guests, or hosting your first ever holiday get together this year? Save yourself some stress by planning your seating ahead: know what size extension table you need to accommodate all of your visitors.
Whether you have a large family that gets even bigger when the extended family gets to town, or youre a small family that needs just a touch of extension, we have the sizing tips and just the extension table for you. Follow these tips below on how to pick the right size holiday gathering table for your space.
Start by picking your base table size
Do you have a large room to fill? If so, a standard width table of 42 is a good place to start. For smaller sized rooms, or when setting up dining sets in the kitchen, consider downsizing to a 36 or even a 30 wide table.
Also keep in mind that youll want to leave extra space between walls and/or other furniture to allow for free movement in occupied chairs (according to Apartment Therapy, an ideal space of 36 should be left between the table and any obstructions).
Now consider how many people will be sitting at the table on a regular basis. Once you know that, a good rule of thumb from houzz is to give each person 24 of elbow room. For example if you seat 6 people year round, (one at each end) your minimum table size should be 48 long (2 people per side x 24 = 48).
Figure out how much your table must extend
Now that you know the minimum size your extension table has to be, its time to see how big it needs to get. Think about how many people you will be accommodating at one time. Keep in mind that if your family is still growing, planning an extra space or two may be a good idea.
If youre not expecting a lot of guests, or if you have a very large space, you can use the formula above to check how big of an extension table you need. If however you have a smaller space or a large family, this formula isnt very feasible. For example, according to all of the above notes, a 14 person family would have to have at least an 12 ft table and an 18 ft room (6 people per side x 24 = 144. Then 144 + 36 + 36 = 216), which is larger than the average 14 x 16 sq ft.
Dont panic just yet if you dont have that much space! You can usually get away with allowing only 20 per person (especially if you have a child or two in the mix). By giving that same group 20 of space instead of 24, youll only need a table that is 120, much more manageable! Ready to shop for your table? Here are a few of our extension tables that allow for extra seating.
When starting with a smaller space
1) Cody Table - 30 x 36 with one 11 leaves. Extends to 47. Seats two, expands to seat four.
2) Cheyenne Pub Table - 30 x 34 with two 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 58. Seats two, expands to seat four or six.
3) Lamar Table - 48 x 26 with two 8 drop leaves. Extends to 42. Seats four, expands to seat six.
4) Cattlemans Table - 42 x 42 with two 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 66. Seats four, expands to seat six.
5) Wind River Table - 30 x 36 with three 12 leaves. Extends to 72. Seats two, expands to seat eight.
6) Kelly Table - 30 x 54 with four 12 leaves. Extends to 102. Seats four, expands to twelve or tight 14.
When starting with a larger space
7) Yorktown Table Set - 36 x 66 with with three 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 102. Seats six, expands to seat ten.
8) Canyon Mission Table - 42 x 66 with four 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 114. Seats six, expands to seat twelve.
9) Shaker Swept Leg Table - 42 x 66 with with four 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 114. Seats six, expands to seat twelve.
10) Providence Table - 42 x 66 with with four 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 114. Seats six, expands to seat twelve.
11) Jackson Table - 42 x 66 with with four 12 self storing leaves. Extends to 114. Seats six, expands to seat twelve.
When a lot of seating is needed
Many of our tables (including the Canyon Mission, Shaker Swept, Providence, and the Jackson mentioned above) are also available in 72 length. With four 12 leaves, these tables extend to 120, and can seat fourteen.
We also do custom table sizes for extra large families. Simply pick out the style of table you like and contact a dealer near you to make sure the table can be made structurally sound.